SEND Information Report 18/19

Welcome to the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities page. 
In this section you will find out how we identify children with SEND and the provision that we put in place to help meet their needs.  We believe that every child has the right to achieve their full potential.  We aim to raise the aspirations of, and expectations for all pupils with Special Educational Needs.

The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator in school is Mrs Wright and Mrs Burton. If you have any questions about SEND then please do not hesitate to come into school to arrange to speak to our Inclusion Team.  

Karen Burton 

Amy Wright
Assistant SENCO
Tracey Thorne
SEND Officer
George Edwards
Safeguarding Officer
Sam Barrasso
Inclusion Officer

A child has special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) if they have a learning difficulty or disability which means that they find it significantly harder to learn, or to do activities which children the same age are able to do.

These children need extra help or support, or special provision made for them to allow them to access their learning.

If your child has special educational needs or disabilities their needs will fall into one or more of the four main areas of SEND; as detailed in the code of practice (2014 p.86). 

Communication and Interaction - this includes children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) and those who fall on the autistic spectrum (ASD).

Cognition and Learning - this includes children who demonstrate features of moderate, severe or profound learning difficulties or specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia.

Social, Emotional and Mental l Health - this includes children who may be withdrawn or isolated, displaying disruptive or disturbing behaviour and underlying mental health difficulties, e.g. anxiety, depression. Other children may have features of hyperactivity, concentration difficulties and/or impulsive behaviours or attachment disorder.

Sensory and/or Physical - this includes children with sensory impairment, visual impairment, hearing impairment or multi sensory impairments and physical difficulties which may require ongoing support and specialist equipment.

Are disabled children also SEN?

The Equality Act (2010) states that a disability is:

'....a physical or mental impairment which has long term and sustainable adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities.'

This definition includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing and long term health conditions.  Children with a disability that impacts on their learning and therefore requires special Educational provision will also be covered by SEND definition.

Who can I contact in school to discuss my child's difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability?

Please speak to your child/s class teacher if you are concerned about your child or you can speak to the Inclusion Team to make an appointment. You can call the team on            01733 566990 to make an appointment with the SENCO. 

If you are concerned your child may have a neurodevelopmental disorder, such as Autism, please click on the link below for information about the pathway for an assessment made by a medical professionals. 

What kinds of SEN do we provide for?

We adapt our provision to meet the needs of the children in our school. We are committed to providing quality first teaching so that all children can make good progress within their learning, whatever their starting point.  

In addition, we currently provide for children with the following special educational needs:

- Physical Disabilities

-Hearing Impairments

-Visual Impairments

-Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD) e.g. Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Dyscalculia

-Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)

-Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties

-Mild to Moderate Learning difficulties

-Speech and Language disorders

-Global Developmental difficulties

How does the Academy identify if my child has a special educational need?

Fulbridge follows a graduated approach to identifying SEN.  More information on this can be found in our SEND policy.

Click here to view our SEND POLICY.

Pupils with SEND are identified in a variety of different ways, including the following:

-Close liaison with pre-schools and or previous school

- Rigorous tracking of pupil progress 

-Lesson Observations

-Concerns raised by Parents/Carers

-Concern raised by Teachers/adults within school

-Individual assessments in school  or by external professionals such a educational therapist, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists or paediatrician. 

How will The Fulbridge Academy let me know if my child has a Special Educational Need?

You are the person who knows your child best and we value working in partnership with you.  We strongly believe that a partnership approach with parents/carers is the best way to support a pupil's learning and needs.

-Your child's class teacher may contact you to discuss the progress of you child in a specific subject area.

-The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues during parent consultation evenings.

The SENCo, may contact you regarding concerns about your child's learning.

What support is available for my child?

*the videos below relate to 2017/18.  This year's videos are currently under development and will be available shortly. (21/11/18)

Communication & Interaction

Physical and Sensory

Cognition and Learning

Emotional and Social

- Accessibility Plan

What other agencies does The Fulbridge Academy work with to meet the special educational needs of the children and also support families of these children?

SEN Team :  

Educational Psychology Service - 01733 863689

Autism Outreach Team - 01733 777937

Occupational Therapy Service -01733 777937

Physiotherapy Team -01733 776277

Peterborough Neurodevelopmental Service -01733 777939

Peterborough Speech and Language Therapy Service- 01733 758298

Peterborough School Nursing Service- 01733 777937

CAMHS ( Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services )- 01733 777939

SCOPE (Independent Support Service)- 

Tel-07966 004704        


CHUMS (Mental Health and Emotional Wellbeing Service for Children and Young people):

Visit their website

Family Voice:

Facebook page: Family Voice

SEN Inclusion Services:

How will Fulbridge Academy know that the additional support my child has received has made a difference to their learning and how am I and my child included in this review?

You and your child will sit with the SENCO and devise a Learning Plan.  The Learning Plans follow an Assess- Plan - Do - Review model where we ASSESS your child's strengths and barriers to learning in the four areas of SEND.  This allows us to PLAN and set specific outcomes that you want your child to achieve based on their areas of difficulty. We then look at what we need to DO to achieve this and what provision needs to be in place.  At the end of the term, we will meet again to REVIEW the progress made and start the cycle again by assessing what we need to do next and putting a plan in place. 


Your child's progress will also be monitored every half term through class assessment that help to inform the review process of their Learning Plan.

Where pupils have not made adequate progress the Inclusion Team my decide to ask for more specialised help from external agencies, if not already involved.

You and your child will be kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved in all stages of this report.

As a parent, we welcome your support and feedback.  You can, at any time arrange a suitable appointment to speak with the Assistant SENCo regarding your child's progress. 

What is an EHC? How is it different from a statement?

 How does The Fulbridge Academy support children with medical conditions?

Pupils at the Academy with medical needs are fully supported so they have full access to education, and enjoy the same opportunities as any other child. 

Where children have physical or medical needs, the academy will work collaboratively with parents, carers, healthcare professionals, academy nurse and/or our attendance officer, and where necessary will create an individual health care plan to ensure pupil's needs are met.  

If you have any concerns regarding support for your child's medical needs please contact the inclusion team.

What are the arrangements for supporting children and young people who are looked after by the Local Authority and have SEN?

Over a third of looked after children have an identified special educational need. The Fulbridge Academy recognises that for looked after children, many of whom may have had difficult and unstable home and school lives before coming into care, it is imperative that their needs are quickly and efficiently assessed and provided for so that the effects of any instability on their education is reduced to a minimum. 

At Fulbridge we liaise closely with the relevant professionals, listen to both the pupil and their carers wishes and support the Local Authority in implementing a Personal Education Plan (PEP) with focused outcomes as part of the child's Care plan. The wellbeing and progress of the child are closely monitored and reported back during PEP meetings to inform future outcomes and support. We also acknowledge the positive impact regular contact between school and carers can have for looked after children. At Fulbridge we believe it is important to have high aspirations for all children including looked after children and those with a special educational need. The Designated Teacher for Looked after Children is Karen Burton. 

What is The Fulbridge Academy's approach to teaching children with SEND?

At Fulbridge we have a fully inclusive ethos. Our curriculum offer is broad and balanced and taught with in an explicit and repetitive approach to enhance the retention of knowledge and skills for all children. We provide quality first teaching with a balance of experiences, visual modelling, auditory input and kinaesthetic activities to support all styles of learning ensuring success for all children.

The SENCO ensures that teachers are aware of pupil's individual needs and advises and supports them to provide the necessary resources and tools to enable these children to access their learning.

How does The Fulbridge Academy ensure teachers and support staff have the expertise and training to support my child's special educational need or disability?

We carry out regular training within the academy in areas such as autism, hearing and impairment, speech and language, Epi-pen, first aid, asthma and tube feeding. We also invite external specialists in from various areas of SEN, depending on the current needs of the children in school.

How does Fulbridge evaluate the effectiveness of the provision made for each child with a Special Educational Need or Disability?

All teachers map the provision for children in their class using vision mapping software. The progress of the children targeted through this provision is reviewed every term. This allows them and senior leaders to not only monitor the progress of teh children but also evaluate of effected the provision was overall and make any necessary changes going forward.

How will Fulbridge support the happiness and wellbeing of my child and what measures are taken to prevent bullying?

We support pupil's wellbeing through:

-Daily P4T sessions that cover topical issues and current events.

-Holistic Intelligences 

-School Council members promote specific days such a World Mental Health Day, Anti- bullying video and 5 steps to well being.

-Some pupils, depending on their learning barrier, may be involved in bespoke emotional or mentoring sessions.

-We encourage pupils to talk about their worries, fears etc through the worry box or with a trusted adult.

-Pupils can attend breakfast club, morning clubs and after school clubs to ensure a good start and end to the day.

We actively part in Anti-Bullying Week Our School Council produced a video:

- Anti- bullying Policy

What are the arrangements for handling complaints from Parent and children with SEND about the provision made at the school?

The academy works, wherever possible, in partnership with parents to ensure a collaborative approach to meeting pupils needs. If a parent or carer has any concerns or complaints regarding the care or welfare of their child, an appointment can be made by yourself by speaking to a member of the Senior Leadership Team or the Office Manager (Mrs Wilson) who will be able to offer advice on formal procedures for complaint if necessary.

All complaints are taken seriously and are heard through the academy's complaints policy and procedure.

What is the Local Offer and where can I find it?

What other information is there that might be useful?

SEND information Advice Support Service:

Telephone 01733 863979


Website :

Below are guides for parents and carers that has been put together by the Department for Education. It has a more detailed explanation of SEND and the key principles of the system.

Click below to download the Emotional and Social Development Pathways Guidelines.

Share this page: