Role of a Local Governor
Fulbridge Academy is part of The Four Cs Multi Academy Trust
Role of a Local Governor
Date approved: 26th June 2017
Date reviewed: June 2017
Date of next review: September 2022
• We have responsibility for determining, monitoring and keeping under review the broad policies, plans and procedures within which the school operates
• We recognise that the Principal is responsible for the implementation of policy, day to-day management of the school and the implementation of the curriculum
• We have no legal authority to act individually, except when the Governing Body or Trust Board of the Multi Academy Trust has given us delegated authority to do so
• We have a duty to act fairly and without prejudice, and in so far as we have responsibility for staff, we will fulfill all that is expected of a good employer
• We will encourage open and honest governance and will evidence this
• We acknowledge that accepting office as a Governor involves the commitment of significant amounts of time and energy
• We will each involve ourselves in the work of the Governing Body, attend regularly, offer guidance and support from the school when requested in addition to taking part in any working groups.
• We will get to know the school well and respond to opportunities to involve ourselves in school activities
• We will consider seriously our individual and collective needs for training and development.
• We will strive to work as a team
We will seek to develop effective working relationships with the Leadership
team, staff and parents,
• We will observe complete confidentiality when required or asked to do so by the Governing Body or Trust Board, especially regarding matters concerning individual staff or students
• We will exercise the greatest prudence if a discussion of a potentially contentious issue affecting the school arises outside the Governing Body
• We will, upon ceasing to be a governor, continue to work to the principles in this Code of Conduct, particularly those relating to confidentiality.
• We will encourage the open expression of views at meetings, but accept collective responsibility for all decisions made by the Governing Body or its delegated agents
• We will only speak or act on behalf of the Governing Body when we have been specifically authorised to do so
• In making or responding to criticism or complaints affecting the school we will follow the procedures established by the Governing Body and Trust Board.
• Our visits to school will be undertaken within the framework established by the Governing Body and agreed with the Principal.
• In discharging our duties we will always be mindful of our responsibility to maintain and develop the ethos and reputation of our Academy.
• We will make use of e-communication and social networking sites as agreed by the governing body and will ensure that our individual use of electronic media is responsible, supports the ethos of the school and may not bring the school,
governing body or Multi Academy Trust into disrepute.